Monday, October 26, 2009

RaceReport: Radnor 5 miler

My running was in the crapper last week due to being sick. I skipped Wed-Thurs-Fri-Saturday and had already signed up for the Radnor 5 mile race. So Sunday morning, feeling less than 100% I headed up there to run.

The carpool was the most interesting part. I was driving up with Carole - and another club member, a new guy named Epi. A mutual friend put us together for the carpool, so it's a chance to meet another club member and runner. I was really hoping the Epi spoke english (which he did) and was glad that he was going to race because I've seen his name in the race results and he's fast. Our club needs more fast runners if we've gonna hang onto 2nd place inthe club challenge.

The race itself: I tried to go out easy. This course has several big hills. I was really hoping that I wouldn't go into one of my wheezing/coughing fits like the ones plagueing me the past few days. The first hill is from like .5 to 1.0 and my one mile split was 7:18. So mission accomplished on slow first mile.
Mile 2 is downhill; done in 6:32. Total 13:50 at 2mm, so avg 6:55 which I was happy with. Mile 3 has the nastiest hill. Steep near the bottom and then a long steady grind. 7:55 for that one. I wasn't feeling too good at this point. Note on course: this is right where you are passing some serious kick ass mansions. They've got some real wealthy types in Radnor, PA. I swear a few of the homes look like castles with huge acreage and personal tennis courts, Bentley's in the driveway, etc.
Anyway, mile 4 is flatish, with some small ups & downs. 7:18. Total time 29:03 which i realize is about 7:15 pace and the effects of my cold are obvious. Most of miles 4 & 5 I run along side a woman who is looking very strong. In the end she pulls away to beat me by about 5 or 10 seconds. She gets 1st a.g. 35-39. I struggle to finish. Basically I don't try to kick at all. It's more of a maintain pace while coasting on in. Mile 5- 6:48 so the final clock is 35:50 @ 7:10 pace. I don't care, given the situation.

Next weekend is the Bridge 10k - hopefully I can get a fast tempo effort mid week and then be in good health for Sunday's race.

1 comment:

  1. Daaaaang, not bad at all considering how crappy you were feeling (and the crazy-sounding hills)! Amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete