Sunday, March 15, 2009

Caesar Rodney raceReport

This race is an example of what not to do on race morning. I'm sort-of disappointed with this race, but it's not too bad.

I know I'm smarter than this, but here's the list:
Woke up too early, could've used the rest/sleep.
Ate sugary snacks & caffeine too early, peaked before start, crashed during race. That's not good.
Went out too fast & didn't ease off the pace until too late into the race.

On the positive side, here's a few things that went well:
Finish time was within acceptable range (1:38:52 - I had expected to be in between 1:35 & 1:40; however, I wanted to be at 1:35, not 1:40-ish). This is my slowest ever on this course, and my slowest 1/2 since 1999.
I met a few new runners, and got to hang out & 'party' with a nice group of folks. Some I knew & some not. So that's always nice to be social.
I did 2 extra miles at the end and so completed my scheduled 15 miler as per plan.

I saw lots of people I knew before the race including Cheryl who was limping badly from a sprained ankle. She ran & finished -wow; gutsy! Maggie did the 5k - course has the same big hill at the end. Rudy, DeDave, Bruce, Norm, and the regular crew. I started right next to K.K. and had a chance to talk with her,,, nice to put a smile with the emails! Sara must've passed me in the final mile or two, but I didn't see her (she got a PR).

I did the first mile in 6:45 - way too fast even if it's downhill. I was still next to Kris (finished 1:31 and took herself an a.g. award). From there on it's a long list of the folks that said hello as they passed by me. David J (1:32), Christina Mc (1:33), Theresa (1:34:00 - my time from last year). This is in the order that they passed me on the course . . . DeDave (1:34), CJ Smarty (sub 1:30?) this was at the 3 mile marker. KelDrive @ 4 mm (1:33), Gene D (1:34). Then much later RayChris (1:36) at the 11 mm, then Sara b/w12 & 13 mm's (1:36:30PR).

My legs felt like meat & I was very exhausted the last few miles. I knew Rich & Rebel crew would be out at 12.5 mm - was sort of dreading having them see me this way. They gave me the business with "looking good" and "finish strong" but I'm sure they saw the pain on my face. Mags was at the next intersection and then Tom J at the base of the hill - I could hardly manage a smile for them as I chugged past. I wanted to walk on the flat leading to the final hill, but I kept moving. But then the hill itself had me beat before I got there. Mentally I was just so done. I went around the "S" turn before walking. Walked about 30-60 seconds. Seems like at least 25 (maybe 2x that #) passed me during this time. Reminded me of the first C.R. I did back in 2004. So many people passed me on the final hill that year...even though I was still 'running' albiet at my granny gear pace. I was in bad pain, my legs were rubbery lead boulders & wouldn't respond to any mental commands, but I forced myself to run again and finished totally in agony. Finish line picture shows my tongue hanging out! UGH.

Didn't realize it at the time but both #2 toes took a brutal beating and will probably be black & then fall off in the next month. Also my nips got absolutely raw, especially on the right side. Could be the new singlet (first time wearing). Also the weather is 35-40 degress with fog & lite rain/100% humidity. Recovered for a few mins, then jogged/walked the extra 2 to make it 15. Then over to after party at Jack & Kel's.

Splits:
1. 6:45 - downhill
2. 7:15 - 14:00 small uphill
3. 7:02 - 21:02 small down
4. 7:11 - 28:13
5. 7:18 - 35:31 small uphill
6. 7:13 - 42:44 small down
7. 7:47 - 50:31 uphill
8. 7:59 - 58:30 uphill
9. 7:35 - 1:06:05 up, then flat
10. 7:37 - 1:13:42
11. 7:42 - 1:21:24 downhill
12. 8:04 - 1:29:28 down, then flat
13. 8:32 - 1:37:00 flat, then big final hill, walking
.1 :55 - 1:38:55

Like I said, the final time isn't so bad. But it's more the way I got there. Lots of pain from going out way too fast. Miles 6, 7, & 8 look about right, but all the other miles were too fast until you get to 11. Look at that: downhill & 7:42. That's where I lost it. Ray passed me at the bottom of that downhill, and then went on to finish 2 mins. faster than me. I was crashing & he was finishing strong. Then looking at split for mile 12 - I had popped.

Now I have to focus on marathon goal & recovery from this wipe-out!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a strong race to me! probably for the best that you didn't race it any harder with only a few weeks til the marathon. i ran a half in mid-october (didn't race it - took it more like a tempo training run, didn't pr) and went on to pr (and bq) in my nov marathon. so basically, while you may be disappointed, it could be a good thing! seriously, a 1:38 on a hilly course is great. i can of course sympathize with the self-disappointment, just don't beat yourself up too much.

    ReplyDelete