Sunday, February 8, 2009

26 Mile Week ... 26 Mile Goal

I was able to get out the door and run my 5 miles late this afternoon. I did one mile loops from my house, 8:00 pace with a bit faster for the last one. I felt sluggish, but the time was better than how it felt. Andy handed me a bottle of Gatorade at each mile mark in between playing with the rapidly melting ice & snow.

This finishes a week of highs & lows. I've found myself doubting if I will be able to run the miles needed to prepare for a marathon. Obviously this tends to zapp the motivation! On the other hand, my 26 mile total this week is my biggest week in at least 2 years. 11+4+6+5. The cumulative time for this 'marathon' distance was about 3:51 . . . could that be my goal time?

I need to test my fitness level - and have been looking at the race schedules. Of course the long run still needs to be the main focus of this segment of my training, but I'm pre-occupied with setting a goal race pace so that I can tailor my traing schedule to work toward the various paces coming from the race pace time. Considering March 1st 10 miler here, or half marathon south of Baltimore.

2 comments:

  1. alright dean. snap out of it! it is still way early in your training, don't psyche yourself out yet! one day at a time, that's all you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dean, sorry about the lag since the last comment. Yeah, it's Mike as in Peyton Place. To answer your previous question, I've run 5 marathons (2 Marine Core, 2 Philly, and 1 De), generally under 4hours. Are you running hurt or about 100%? I think good preparation for marathong is first long and longer runs (gradually), and second 6-8 mile tempo runs. Are you doing CR? I'm still considering what marathon to run.

    ReplyDelete