Saturday, February 14, 2009

Muzak while running

I saw another running blogger iwth a post about song choices during runs. I have a unique approach to this and thought I'd re-post my comment from her blog here for my reader(s).??

""... I stick to the classics, I just hum them in my head because I'm tech challenged and my Sony Walkman 8 trac player broke years ago. For LSD I listen to any Sly & Robbie trax before heading out - that base line will stick with you for at least an hour! Try the apt titled Endurance, it's simple yet addictive. My all time fav for running faster pace is Love Stinks. Just hum it over & over on a loop in yer mind while you tap out that steady pace.""

Basically, I'm the only runner i know of that has a fixed set of songs in my mind that I just always replay the same tunes for every run. I know that sounds terribly boring, but these songs work for my pacing and they are very comfy, familiar, and feel good while running. They end up being like background muzak that i can notice when I want and then pay attention to anything else for a minute or two, and then pick up the song again without any break. (and no need to pause, replay, rewind,e tc). I have changed the list very little over the ten years that I've been running. Recently I've added some reggae, and dropped out a few classic rock standards...but overall I've been humming along to the same songs for 10 years and it's what works for me.

2 comments:

  1. i play music in my head occasionally. some days a song just pops into my head and repeats on it's own will. not quite for 10 years, but hey whatever works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope all is going well in running land! hadn't seen a new post from you in my reader in awhile and wanted to make sure i hadn't lost your feed... hope there are no injuries keeping you from your running shoes.

    ReplyDelete