Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowlin Prediction

Well on Super Bowl Sunday what better timing to make my postings today really really over the top testosterone loaded guy-stuff. Ladies, if you're faint of heart then please skip today's entries.
Not that my blog to date (yes - I've now cleared the one month hurdle) has been dainty or feminant, but today before my run *GREAT RUN TODAY* I had an idea for a grossly humorous post based on my pre-run ritual. Then while out in the woods I came across the evidence of one animal enforcing the food-chain pecking order onto another animal. Photo below shows the remains of the carnage.

Bottom line: Based on remains of chewed up cardinal - I'm going "out on a limb" to predict the the poor Cards will be utterly destroyed today by the Steelers. Second prediction, halftime score: I'll be high as a kite by then.

Here's the story: I'm running a 10 miler thru the woods and about half way in I spot a bird's leg & claw in the snow at the side of the trail. I go back and yep, sure enough it's one leg of a cardinal. I quickly scan around for more, but seeing nothing I take off again. I know for certain that there's Sharp-shin's & Coopers hawks in these woods. I've seen them flying so adeptly thru the branches. And I've seen them devourering their favorite meal of other birds. But I've never actually seen the moment of the catch and/or kill. But now I can say I've found the remains of the parts that these awesome birds can't digest. And let me tell you, there's not much that they leave behind.
After finding someone's bright red ski mask/hat in the cross paths of the open field, I decided to do my good deed of the day & take it up to the ranger's station. While there I decided to double back & explore around to see if I could find more scraps than just the leg & claw. This added about a mile to my run, but I also took a break looking around the area. About 20 or 25 yards off the path I found a half a skull of the cardinal, beak intact. Both these items were very fresh and right on top of the snow. I moved the skull fragment back over to the leg so that I could get a photo of both together.

Bad day for the cardinals!

No comments:

Post a Comment