Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tempo run # 1

Since my last several runs were outdoors I returned to the treadmill today for the first of 3 weekly tempo runs that I plan to use as a build up to my first race of the year. Any race I do prior to March 1st will be just for a fun workout (i.e. Mudder).

I'm leaning toward the Baltimore B & A rails-2-trails half marathon ... but the $65 entry fee seems way outta line! There's not many local choices around this time of year. I could try a time trial if I can recruit someone fast to run it with me. I could wait for C.R. half on March 15th - but the hills will slow me down and they're not representative of the VCM course.

I'm not going to pre-reg for anything this spring. As a result I hope to drop most of the races and focus on the ones that lead directly toward the goal.

Today's run was a total of 5 = 1 warm & 1 cool and 3 fast in middle. I was hoping for 7 to 7:10 pace for the 3 but realized right away that it wasn't my day. Several factors, but bottom line is that I can prep for the next tempo run better. 7:05 then 7:12 then 7:15. Not bad really, but it was quite an effort. Next week maybe shoot for 4 x 7:10 pace.

1 comment:

  1. not bad for your first tempo! it took me forever to find a consistent pace. i'm pretty sure you are already so much closer to your pace than i ever was.

    ReplyDelete