Monday, June 15, 2009

Damn Walk Breaks Again

Sunday morning I headed out for the planned 6 mile trail run. Was met by friend Ray who informed me that he needed to go 10. I wasn't sure that I could stomach it but figured that he would just tack a few onto the end...and I could go a few extra to help out.

It had rained very heavy late yesterday so the trails were really muddy immediately. The big puddles & slippery goey mess type of muddy. During the whole run neither of us fell, but there was some slidin going on! We had the trails almost totally to ourselves until we got to the park ranger road down along the river.

Uneventful run. Barely saw any wildlife - a lone chipmonk; then a turkey vulture getting breakfast from a way-past-expiration-date deer on the side of the road by Thompsons Dam Bridge. Water in river was very high. Nobody out in canoes/kayaks - thank God. (Last storm 2 idiots went out for a thrill and the authorities are still looking for the one guy's body.)

I felt like we were working a good 9:00 min pace but Ray wanted to go a bit faster. I need to run with faster folks more often. Around mile 5 we picked up the pace as we came back from the other side of the river. Almost immediately I started to have bad stomach issues. Probably the food from last night (baseball game fare - hot dogs/pretzels/ice cream). I felt stomach cramps & uncomfortably bloated. Just before this I had realized I hadn't drank any water for miles and maybe I chugged too much too quickly. Anyway, it worked out as we were on a straight section and Ray went ahead without me and then doubled back so that he got 2 or so while I got 1 or less with a good walk break. There's those damn walk breaks again. Since the mega-walk marathon I can't seem to shrug off these pesky walk breaks. Sad, very sad indeed.

I feel like I was working pretty hard, but only have 8 miles to show for 90 mins. Very humid, sweated out a ton. Took in extra salt dose with post run food. As this is my longest run post-marathon I'm considering this a 'long run'. Next weekend I should probably plan on a 10 or 12 miler so that my legs don't forget long runs. Made prelim plan to go up to Philly in August to run on the PDR course - I know that will help me have a good race day.

1 comment:

  1. i would think the culprit was nutrition and hydration (or lack thereof) from the way it sounds. with the summer weather, you can't fool around with those two. shake it off, clean up your plate, and get down to your business!

    ReplyDelete