Thursday, June 11, 2009

Street Fightin' Man

Yesterday Josh Cox posted "wake up & fight for your dreams."

I thought about that several times. This morning I decided to take it to heart. I never roll out of bed and run. I'm more of a shower, and caffeine, then take my time (unless it's a race day) before I head out to run. Not today. I just put on my running shoes & out the door I went.

Mind you this was just a 4 ez miles day; but I got it done. Felt real stiff & tired at first, warmed up into it. 8:30-8:15-8:00-8:15. Felt really good to push myself to get out there. I'm resolved that i just plain need to run more. Who BQ's on an average of 25 miles per week? I'm not a gifted athlete. Some people just genetically have it. And then there's the rest of us. I need to run more miles, and more days per week to acheive those miles. Currently I average 3.5 days/wk. I need to get that to 5.5 by the end of the summer. Even a 4 mile recovery (yesterday was my tough tempo effort) day is better for my legs & my cardio fitness than just plain rest.

My body needs alot of recovery time - I know that. And that's been proven plenty over the last few years. I think a genetic component is involved there too. Dudes that run 120 mile weeks have biomechanics that don't make their limbs/joints/body fall apart at that level. But I think I've lulled myself into mediocrity. I need to average 35/wk and pop a 40 or 45 mile week every once in a while. I've gotten away with low mileage -but intense mileage- for too long. That works for me from 5k all the way up to the half marathon, but the full 26.2 is a totally different animal. I'm going to add one day bike ride per week with conversion to run miles (equivalent 3.5bike = 1run ratio?).

Starting off today feeling good positive vibes!!! Make it a great day people!

p.s. 2nd Stones inspired blog title this month - where's that coming from?

1 comment:

  1. increasing the # of days/week would help but make sure your body doesn't rebel. if it means sticking to a 4 or 5 days/week schedule then that's what you do. you can still get in quality mileage and your 35-40 mile goals. sounds like you are on the right track to becoming even stronger and faster! your 4 miles easy does not sound that easy :) love the josh cox quote/posting.

    ReplyDelete