Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Recent Recap

Recent Recap:
Sat.- 8k race.
Mon. - 6 miles trails w/hills.
today - 6 miles total w/middle 3 as a tempo segment.

I see that I've gotten behind on blogging, again. Todays' workout didn't go all that well. But I like to think of rough workouts as progress reports or fitness tests. So I've got some work to do!

wanted to do a 3 mile tempo at 7:00 pace with 1.5 warm-up & cool-down. I could tell during the first mile that my legs were 'dead' from Monday's trail run/hill workout. (oops, never blogged on that. Recap: very hot & humid late afternoon run. I am supposed to lead a group trail run this weekend and haven't been on all sections of the planned route in some time, so I ventured into the woods. Good thing, took a wrong turn early. Don't want to do that on Sunday. Felt good and added an extra hill loop, but then by the end I was real exhausted and had to walk on the final hill. Checked weather channel when I got home, 80-82 degrees with 70-75% humidity. 6 miles total).

So back to today...I decided to start the tempo portion at speed & then slow down as needed on the fly. Mile 1 - uncomfortable but done in 7:03. Mile 2 - slowed it down immediately as the humidity was making me sweat like a pig! Very uncomfortable, even after backing off the pace some more. 7:22 still not soo bad. But then Mile 3 - I just couldn't keep going. Took a one minute walk break then slowly cranked it back up. Practically racing to try to break 8 on that last one, but couldn't. 8:10, first 100 yards was walking and next 200 was getting up to speed.

Disappointing . . . a little. But it tells me where I'm at.
1. Need to aclimate now that summer weather is full force.
2. I'm giving myself a break since I haven't done any tempo runs for like 2 mos.
3. This is basically 2 tough workouts in a row. I should've gone ez today and tempo friday.

Next week try again to hit the 3 x 7:00 tempo target. I've decided to try to put on some speed for some hot 5k racing in July. Then I'll go back to the long stuff for half marathon race (PDR) at the end of Sept. So training sets up like this: Fri - a few easy miles. Sun - trails, moderate. Tues - ez 5 or 6. Thurs - Tempo.

Lower ab muscle pull still annoying me, but it's getting better.

Gotta run... soccer dad shuttle to tryouts for travel team. have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment