Wednesday, June 17, 2009

There isn't always a tomorrow.

Another day that I somehow was too busy in the morning to get out for my run. Lunchtime came & went and no running. Bummer. But I vowed to do it in the afternoon. I feel very motivated to run lately. This is another example where in previous cycles I would easily fall back onto any old rationalization to skip a day. Hey, there's always tomorrow. But my new approach is "today is already tomorrow" i.e. there's no more waiting. I don't have endless time to run fast races...no one gets unlimited time. There isn't always another tomorrow.

City Runnin'. 4 miles downtown. Parked along Union St. Stopped in at the local running shoe store to drop off my entry for Sat's 5k! Woo- hooo. this is the first local 5k I've done in almost a year. So psyched! But i'm also knowing that this isn't going to be much of a show, even by my standards. I'm thinking of this as more of a first race to establish a baseline. Something to build from...and let me know exactly where my fitness is at right now.

Eased into the pace. 1=8:30 or 8:45, then 2=8:30 or a bit faster. 3=opened it up here, about 7:30. 4= 7:15 with the last stretch really moving fast. I'd like to run 7 min pace on Sat for approx. 21:45 but that really doesn't sound very fast *(at all)! I've only done one 5k in like the past 6 or 8 mos. Haddonfield in March - looked up my time - 21:08. Have I really gotten signif slower since then?? Lack of speed work/tempo runs has really impacted me.

1 comment:

  1. you may have lost some of that 5k speed but in my opinion you really have to do some good interval workouts to be prepped for those. that's my excuse anyway :)

    hope the 5k went well, at least i'm sure it was a hard-effort pace no matter your time.

    ReplyDelete