Saturday, June 13, 2009

Gotta Start Somewhere

Got out the door early this a.m. for another 4 easy run. Glad I did because now it's raining steady. Forgot to wear watch and didn't go back inside for it. Just made the decision to go easy. A few times in the first half I had to tell myself to go easier, slow down. Overall this wasn't as slow & easy like I planned. But maybe around 8:15 pace or so. But hey- it's only 4 miles so no biggie.

At the end I was feeling really good and decided to try out some 'strides'. This is basically hard 30 seconds, easy 60 seconds, then repeat. Not full 100% sprint, but quick leg turn over, watch form, faster than 5k pace. My new summer time goal of shooting for a fast 5k (before my ramp-up towards Sept's PDR half) means that I need strategies for increasing my speed. I've never done striders before, always sounded a bit too much like speed work to me. I did 3 times with each accelleration being on flat or somewhat uphill block & jogging on slightly downhill grade. these went very well & felt great! i will try for 5 x 30 seconds at the end of my tempo run this Thurs... that should feel alot tougher coming at the end of a hard workout.

Woo-Hooo, I lost .5 pounds this week! Gotta start somewhere...

1 comment:

  1. 1/2 a pound is good! don't want it to fall off too quickly and any loss is always nice to see.

    ReplyDelete