Thursday, June 18, 2009

Up Tempo 3 @ 7

Today's planned workout: 6 miles; middle 3 Tempo run @ 7 minute pace... assuming that I could hold that effort. Last week had planned the same run, but fell short on speed. Decided to modify (reduce) the total distance due to my feet being achey and I'd rather rest, even a little bit, before racing on Saturday. Total was 5 miles.

This is a treadmill tempo run. Warm up 1 mile ez. Mile 2 felt controlled & comfortable at 6:58. Began to feel it during second mile but at 7:03 I was still very happy. At beginning of last mile I was trying to talk myself into hanging on to be able to finish it. But then fell into a zone and the time passed quickly. Began to dial up the speed at the end, but it was too late to really make any diff. 6:54 and I definitely had more energy left in the tank - hopefully that will still be there for me on Sat morn. Good stretch and lite weight circuit for upper body.

This workout makes me think my 5k will be between 21:15 - 21:30. Factoring in unknown intangibles (weather, hills, me) maybe a wider range like 21:00 - 21:45 because I'm really not sure what might happen!

Good news: I've lost another half pound. This is a huge relief just to see that the scale does move back down. Still scratching my head about gaining weight during marathon training phase. This makes one full pound in 3 weeks. Basically just trying to eat less. My problem is that I just plain eat too much. Less food = less calories.

1 comment:

  1. i've heard of other people gaining weight during marathon training. it seems weird, but i think you have to find the right balance - eat the right amount of cals to offset the cals burnt. of course those cals can't all be the delicious ones either :( i used to have the mentality of "well i run so i can eat it" but i've learned that's not quite a valid excuse for me. find your balance, it'll work out!

    ReplyDelete