Saturday, July 4, 2009

Mixed Bag of Firecrackers

The weather was absolutely great on Sat. morning for my 10 miler. Got started a bit late, but otherwise prep was good. Wore my new pair of Brooks Glycerin 7. Doing a 10 spot for their first time out was a mistake...major blister on Achilles/heal area of left foot. Felt it during the last few miles but what can you do?

Temp 70 with 50% humidity. Bright sunshine! Really glorious July 4th day. The first few miles the wife rode her bike alongside me. That's the first time ever - it worked well - it's good to have crew handing me a water bottle on the fly. She quit at end of 5 miles. Those 5 plus #6 were averaged at 8:00 pace. Initially it felt quick and I had trouble settling into a rhythm. But the further into this workout I got, the better I was feeling.

Decided to make the second half into a 'cooker' workout. I've heard most folks call this a Progression run...basically cut the pace on each successive mile. I prefer Cooker because that's the way it feels to me. The temp inside the pot gets hotter & hotter with each passing mile. By the end it's pretty damn uncomfortable.
Mile 7 = 7:41
Mile 8 = 7:28
Mile 9 = 7:10
Mile 10 = 6:55
I ran one last untimed mile for the cool down. I'm really pleased with this run. My knees didn't hurt much at all (during or after). Those last few splits aren't far off from some recent splits during 5k races! Very encouraged by this effort.

I've been battling a minor cold for a few days. Last weekend I was doing alot of yard work and several times noticed myself huffing & puffing while surrounded by a cloud of dust/dirt/fine particulate matter. Within a few days I started coughing up bits of mucus. Kind of reminds me of morning smoker's cough (yes, I'm a reformed ex-smoker). I hope this clears soon, although it didn't seem to impact the running today.

Eleven today makes this my first week over 30 since April (except marathon week). Next week I have to re-focus back tothe speed. I'd like to do 2 or 3 more 5k's before leaving speed for LSD marathon training.

2 comments:

  1. nice job on the long run! those last few miles were blazing, especially without your water support! glad the knees held up ok and hope they aren't giving you any trouble so far this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I LOVE that you call it a "cooker" workout. That is exactly what happens to me too! Anyway, GREAT job with it--those are some SUPER speedy splits towards the end!

    ReplyDelete