Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Philly Distance Run - the preview

I am excited to go up to Phila PA and run a workout on the PDR course. I volunteered to lead a road trip from here (Del.) so that we can get familiar with course... and generally for something new & different to do. Here's the club announcement.

This is open to anyone - so feel free to join us if you're in the area. Here's a link to the course map. I love that the elevation profile shows range from low of 24' and high of 55'. Did I mention that i don't run hills very well?

Although my enthusiasm is being cut by the fact that I'm not sure how I'm going to pull together a PR attempt. Based on my recent hard effort work outs I have lost all my speed. I traded in my speed for marathon long runs... and now I can't seem to get the speed back. Here's a summary of last Sunday's long run, second week in a row that I did this workout. This was intended as a Cooker (but ended up more of a steady simmer?)?

July 12 - first 6 miles averaged 8:30 over varied home neighborhood loop. 75 degress & 75% humidity.
mile 7 - 8:05 includes one hill
mile 8 - 7:59 big hill
mile 9 - 7:46 why am I not going faster, and when will this end?
mile 10 -7:40 is this measured correctly? Feel like I'm working much harder than 7:40.

tacked on one extra as a cool down. I got noticably slower compared to last week. Maybe the trail run the day before took something out of me? Maybe a bit more heat & humidity too. This workout felt good, but the times are just not what i was hoping for.

I'm going online to search for some half marathon training schedule/plan. At least the preview is no Hills at PDR - hoping for no Heat or Humidity.

2 comments:

  1. that is an excellent idea to round up some folks and run in philly. hope the trip and run go well!

    i find that some of my tempo/threshold/goal pace runs are often just off the goal pace. some days click, some days do everything but. hopefully the fact that you pushed your limits will pay off with an 'on' day come race time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a mighty fine elevation profile--very nice!

    keep at it with the speed work. it will come back to you--it might take a little time, but it will come back ;)

    ReplyDelete