Saturday, July 11, 2009

EZ Day, really very easy

Oh wow, I've missed a whole week of blog posts. I had a somewhat busy week, but thinking back on it now it doesn't seem that busy. Anyway, I'll try to go back and make some notes. Meanwhile I had a nice easy run this a.m. that deserves an immediate write up. Sometimes writing blog entries feels too much like homework - and I don't like that feeling!

In an effort to build some club spirit/unity/visibility we (the board) decided a few months back to host a series of group runs. Open to members and the public, anyone/any ability. Today was my second time hosting. The first one was a flop due to late notice posted and the weather. Last month was so rainy but now it seems like 2 weeks since we've had a drop.
We had great turn out for this morning's trail run, 12 runners. The weather was perfect for July (cool, dry, clear blue sky). Ultra Margie made it a point to talk up that fact that she'd be there. That helped alot. She's modest when talking about her running, but anyone that goes 50k, 50 miles, 100k and 100 miles is a rock star in my mind! We were also joined by another ultra runner - Fast Fred - who did his ultras from the left coast during the 90's. {Note that I am making up these nicknames myself, I've got to learn everybody's nicknames still}

At the other end of the spectrum we had a few folks that were either new to trails or needed to run slower paces. And I was somewhere in the middle. I tried to keep tabs on everyone but feel I didn't do a real great job as host. Luckily we all came back together at the end. Only one person fell, in the first 5 mins, and I know he's tough enough from plenty of other falls to be fine. On the whole it was very sucessful group run.

Personally the effort was too easy for my liking. I'm calling it 5 miles, but it very well may have been less. At times the pace was slow. . . then other times it was waaay too slow. There was some other runners in the woods, a group from DRClub, and I felt the urge to speed up and fall in with them. But I resisted and tried to be the good host. This 5 today makes 20 for the week. Okay, that's about what i expected after last week's big #. And the plus is that I should run tomorrow morning to get the new week off to a good start.

I'm not used to doing easy miles like today. It's much more of my style to do all quality miles. I've gotten by for years on low mileage because of the fact that all miles are 'fast'. Or at least all miles have a specific purpose for the workout. Today felt more like a social thing and not a workout at all. It was really nice meeting some new runners (Bob B, Fred, Dan, Laura, her friend (Jenny??, sorry-not good w/names) and also running with folks I don't see often (Margie, John, Rachel). And a shout out to my good old crew Tuckin, McC, el Presidente.

2 comments:

  1. the slow miles were good for your legs - i try to think of it as a massage for my legs (thought lately does NOT feel that way, lol). easy miles are good for recovery! even if the time was slower than normal, it was still time on your feet, and hopefully still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really good for a runner to get slower/social runs in like you described. They give your body and mind a break from pushing hard--but at the same time, still add to your mileage total. And like you said, meeting new runners is always super fun!! :)

    Glad the group run was a success!!

    ReplyDelete