Thursday, July 9, 2009

RaceReport- Rooney's 5k

Realized I never did race write up for my last 5k. So i'm back-dating this posting.

I am not an evening runner, but in the summer time there seems to be a trend of 5k's during the week. This race is a Thursday 7 p.m. affair. This was the 3rd in my effort to get back some of my speed. Since I'm writing this 2 weeks later, I know now that it was the last 5k because I skipped the other weekend ones. And now I'm in the mindset of longer workouts. 5k speed is no longer the focus since we're getting closer to the fall race season (PDR in Sept. then 15k in Oct. and probable 26.2 in November).

First time I've ever done this race and/or run this course. Lots of races in our town are run over the same few courses, but this one is not oft used. Downhill first mile, then flat #2, uphill at end but the finish line is 25 to 50 feet lower than the start (i.e. net downhill). Mile 1 = 6:24 and most of the regular crowd went out faster than me so that I passed them between .5 & .75 or so. Guess I should've gone out faster. Mile 2 = 6:59 (13:23) I felt under control, holding something back for uphill finish. Mile 3, fatigue setting in; saw someone ahead of me who has been beating me lately, but I used to get the better of our races last year. Slowly closed gap and passed before 3mm. Time 6:56 (20:19). Uphill .1 = 41 seconds. Had plenty left to sprint final 100 yards. Wasn't going to kick it in until I saw another guy that usually beats me this year. I got in front of him just before the line! I know he's a lot older than me, he always gets a.g. award, but I still try to beat him when I can. 21:00 even (but online race results shows 21:01).

Tried to be social and hang out at bar afterward, but I knew I wasn't getting any a.g. medal with a 21:00 because there's always tough competition for M40-49. Had 2 beers, ate food . . . they ran out which isn't cool. If ur gonna have an evening race then you gotta expect runners to be HUNGRY. Anyway, that's my fastest of the year. One minute slower than last yr's best, and about 40 seconds slower than last yr's typical. Where has my speed gone?

1 comment:

  1. 21 flat on what sounds like a tough course! those downhills are tricky when they throw you to the up hill. nice job! your 2nd and 3rd miles were consistent - always good to see.

    what do you think about your shape this year vs last year? can you look back at your training from them and see what, if anything, is different? not doing as much speedwork, not allowing for recovery, etc? just a thought... i obviously have no idea, but it could lead to an answer?

    your 21 is still awesome to me!

    ReplyDelete