Monday, May 18, 2009

If I wasn't a runner I'm sure I'd be fat!

Yesterday in soda alone I must've consumed 600 calories.

Had a good weekend, Friday was the "Author's Tea" at kid's school, Saturday hangin out at the little league field, and Sunday my son's First Communion. I basically pigged out all weekend long. But that's one of the perks of being a runner!

Well, if you add up my mileage recently you will be able to tell that my taper has esentually turned into a total absence of running. After that last 20 miler I've been so unfocused that I've had no urge for running. A friend told me that can happen after alot of miles (hey-it's all relative here) and not to be worried. I hope to get a few easy runs in this week and today was the first. And it was a good one.

3 miles on the wheel at the Y doesn't sound like the makings of a good one. But it was. Here's how it went down. After the first mile at 8:20 pace I felt a strong surge of energy coming on. I increased the speed to 8 min pace, but was determined not to go any faster. I succeeded in mentally relaxing by thinking about my running form/posture. I do this sometimes as a way to distract myself from something else. I also closed my eyes almost all the way and just tried to 'sleep-run' comfortably. I only had one eye very slightly open - it was nice. Tom Petty's Free Falling was on the radio overhead. My pace was right on beat at 8:00 and I noticed the light relected on the tread's screen was bouncing up & down to my footsteps & in time with the music. Really lulled me into relaxed zone. Felt great. Bout 10 mins of this and the energy surge was gone. Don't remember ever running to free falling before, but it really was an instant hit to relaxation. I have to remember this trick for the big race. Been reminding myself in a tape loop in my head "do not go out too fast". I'm convinced that i should do 8:30 pace and forget BQ so that I can enjoy the experience. Been thinking about this alot.

1 comment:

  1. glad you had a good run! whatever you decide on your goal for the marathon will be a solid goal, and either way you will do awesome because -hello- you will be a marathoner!

    i'm jealous that you can have the true runner's diet. i on the other hand STILL have to watch what i eat. i swear i can't indulge unless i run 15+ miles :)

    ReplyDelete