Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Quips from post-race

These are some FaceBook & email messages from the hours right after the race:

Sunday night: I finished...that's about all I can say. Just about everything that could go wrong did. But I got the finisher medal.

It was one of my worst running experiences ever...humity, too much early speed, & lots of hills.

marathon: total meltdown. Changed mantra mid-race to "When will this end; I will not DNF." Leg cramps=bad. Walked the final 2.5 miles.

Monday morning: This morning's paper has some info on Wardian's race... he's happy that it's a new PR for him 2:21 - but it's the 5th year in a row that he's come up here and the 5th time he's finished 2nd. Seems to be different guys each year show up to take the win...
I don't know how there was so many guys under 2:30. This course has alot of HILLS! Women's winner also set her PR at 2:35 - she's a 3 time winner here. The sun came out when I was around mile 19 or so. It started to get hot & steam was coming up from the streets and roofs of houses. I guess the speedy runners were already done (or close to done) at that point.
There was a 9 y.o. boy that ran the full marathon. He passed me while I was walking in the final miles. That's the kind of day it was for me.

1 comment:

  1. those are fast times!! and a 9 year-old! impressive.

    congrats on finishing the marathon. it is a beast, and tough to prepare for physically and mentally. you've no doubt learned many lessons and will come back even stronger for #2.

    ReplyDelete