Thursday, May 21, 2009

Let's play quarters!

Quarters. Remember that old drinking game? This is something different.

I just read an article about not going out too fast during a race. I have very often been plagued with this problem. Even to the point of rationalizing that it's 'my style' and that 'it works for me' because I can 'bank seconds or minutes to be spent during latter miles' etc., etc. ( article here: http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/05/time-trial-pacing.html )
Basically,
divide the race in 4 quarters and then work it like this:
1. Perceived effort should feel easy while not being too far beyond anticipated pace.
2. Run your own race at goal - but no faster.
3. Maintain pace although perceived effort pushes into the fatigue & pain zone.
4. Push yourself to max effort. If you've measured it out right then you can maintain pace thru the finish line.

The article is written for cycling with power meter & HR technology utilized. That doesn't work for me. But the principle is the same - and it's nothing new.

I'd like to start out at 8:45 like I did on my LSD easy runs, but that's too far from BQ goal pace and I'll never make up that much time. Something like 8:10 - 8:20 for the first 6 miles might work. Then goal pace - 8:00 - thru to mile 20. Then finish the 6 remaining @ 7:45. It looks good in print. And if I feel beat at 18 or 20 (or whenever) then I can still finish in a 3:35 or whatever.

This is not so much different than what I've been going over in my head for days now. I think I may be obsessing about this pacing thing a bit. Reality is that there's tons of variables and the final decision will have to be on the starting line.

Weather report stills looks beautiful for Sunday in Vermont - awesome. And my small cold is def breaking up and passing - TG.

Making a big list of stuff to bring including:
Fuel belt, hat, 'best' socks, shorts, singlet.
Create pace band, bring with scotch tape.
Bring my own pillow for hotel bed (as if I'm sleeping much the nite before).
Vasoline (toes), sun screen (nose), band aids (nips).
Headlamp & flashlite -

that last one is because I want to climb Mt. Mansfield (highest peak of VT) and depending on my recovery/fatigue level it may be late Sunday or early Monday. This might sound a bit harsh, but if I run the marathon & make the summit of Mansfield then I'll never have to return to VT. Everyone is telling me that it's my kind of state - lots of outdoors stuff - and that I'm going to luv it up there. But the reality is that there's so many places I've never been that I no longer am traveling with the plan of making multiple trips. One state, one trip, do what you got to do and cross it off the list. (i really got to get my head examined?). So far my only other high peaks are Del, NJ, and NY. But VT is a good compliment since I saw Lake Champlain from the top of Mt. Marcy two years ago. The only other stuff up there is sking (no), ice cream (supermarket), and fishing (lousy at catching fish).

So marathon first, then Mt. Mansfield. I am not leaving without reaching these goals.

1 comment:

  1. it's hard to start out "slow"/holding back, but it will pay off later on when you aren't dead tired. usually i fail at holding back, but the few times i ran smart, it paid off for me. that or i was just in awesome shape.

    sounds like a cool post-race goal! hope you can hobble your way up with those post-marathon legs :)

    ReplyDelete