Friday, May 1, 2009

Broad Street Run - packet pick-up todaY!


I love that feeling of getting lost in a big crowd. Nothing gets the thirst for race day going like the huge Expo & packet pick-up. I'm excited for Sunday, but the 20 mile training run, not the 10 mile race, is my goal.

I'm hoping to do 8:45 from finish to start. Time things such that I only stand around like 30 mins, and then race back down to the stadiums/ship yard at 8:00 pace. If I can do it, I will consider a BQ attempt at the marathon(need 8:03 pacing); otherwise, I'll settle on the 8:30 or 8:20 pace for the marathon and so be 8 -12 mins. outside the Boston qualifying standard. I really hate to be that close and not make it...but i keep reminding myself that it's just my first marathon attempt.

Last year I finished about 600 out of 19,000 finishers (1:07:30 at 6:45 pace; one of my best all time race performances. 55 women were in front of me...63 men in my own age bracket were in front of me! ouch, tough age group). Not that I'm actually fast, but when they announced that this year will be the first time using start corral system then i went ahead and requested 'up front' so that I wouldn't have to fight thru the crowds so much. Plus being a USATF competitor we are judged (WAVA) based on gun time, not chip.

So they have assigned me bib #1239 - and we'll just have to see if that is somewhere near the front or what. Now as it turns out, I'll just be running really slow compared to last year due to the 20 miles rather than 10. So further proof I don't need early corral position.... oh well.

Also hopeful that I can find a deal on new shoes at the Expo. Really diggin these Brooks Glycerin 7's that I've been wearing. Cushy, comfy, and not too heavy except in the price tag. Hip is still hurting from tennis last weekend, but it's getting better. Interesting to see how it holds up Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. good luck this weekend!! hope you score a deal at the expo - i never seem to :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. me neither, and yesterday every booth said they were out of or didn't bring my shoe/my size. bummer, but I have time to keep searching.

    ReplyDelete