Friday, January 2, 2009

Cross Train Rhythm

This is another posting from earlier this week.

Wednesday's workout was a cross-training session at the gym. 10 minutes on the treadmill, 15 mins on the elipt stepper, 15 mins bike. Heart rate never got into the zone - i need to work on my x-traing so that I can rest my PF (which is still hurting but has made improvement lately) while not totally dropping all my fitness. I hate the steppers. They all feel unnatural to me. The gait and the width of the foot plates that are fixed. It's all bad on the steppers. The bike is nice to come back to. I used to do regular workouts on both a real bike & on the stationary upright bikes at the gym. It's very relaxing to sit while exercising. I really like to switch my brain off and just fall into the zone of the spinning pedals. It doesn't do as much as running, but it is nice & relaxing in the same way.

I have also been doing much more stretching with each workout & some in between once or twice a day. I've been hitting the weights a bit too. Some weight training over the winter off season is typical for me and it doesn't amount to much. Just a way to mix it up.

Diet: the beginning of another new year finds me with another resolution to lose weight. In the last month, since my slowdown due to PF, I've gained about 4 pounds. I'm not too worried about it yet, and will work to drop those pounds & more once my running is back. I'm actually hopeful that the mileage buildup for a marathon will help me get to a new 'low' on the scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment