Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On the menu, or just a condiment?


I saw a friend's blog about food which reminded me of this comment.
"Mmmmmmm, catsup! Have always loved it. When I was a kid, my brother & I would make catsup sandwiches...it started when we ran out of cold cuts. But then it became a choice. Just white bread & packets from Micky D's. Now that I'm older I use whole wheat. Still tastes awesome!"

Here's another food related item from just the other day: I like to invent new food combo's that my boys think are gross/weird/etc. We were having fried chicken patty on burger buns. Corn & mac 'n cheese on side. The kids wanted me to top mine with corn. But instead I surprised them by choosing the mac. I said it was practically like a cheese burger anyway, but they wouldn't try it themselves...something about the macaroni on a bun bothered them. They also didn't like when I smothered it in catsup. Issues with a condiment on top of mac 'n cheese. Did I mention that my kids are a bit fussy about their food?

My all time classic - which the boys still talk about - is my P'sBurger. Which is just a regular cheeseburger with a heaping serving of peas on top. Between the catsup and the gooey cheese the peas will stay put. It's really quite good.

I'd like to know what's your favorite strange combination food?
Some folks think catsup on a hot dog is wrong, but let's stretch a bit further than that.
I'll be sure to ask my kids to try your recommendations...


1 comment:

  1. first of all, ketchup/catsup on a hotdog is *not* wrong! all this ketchup talk lately makes me crave it even more. :)

    i'd have to agree with you and pick mac 'n cheese over corn.

    i used to eat plain bread drenched in a bottle of maple syrup. i realize that's not that weird but now that i look back i can't imagine ever using so much syrup. unfortunately outside of putting ketchup on everything i can't think of a strange enough food combo for you to whip up for your kids.

    ReplyDelete