Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First Fast Run of '09

This is the write up from Monday's workout. I've fallen a bit behind on the blog entries. And I never did a detailed 'goals' post. And I've been thinking about the idea of the "runner's high" which I intend to make an entry about my thoughts on that paired with additive tendencies. Also, the other day I was inspired to write a poem about running. It needs some fine tuning and then I'll post it...don't laugh too hard when you read it!

Excellent treadmill run with some weights & stretching afterward. I'm cautiously optimistic about my PF becoming a thing of the past. With the last week I've done my longest run in 6 weeks, and now my only fast workout. Remember that swim last week? Ever since that workout's after-effects have faded (the PF pain & calf soreness associated with cramping described here and again 2 days later) I've hardly felt the PF situation at all.

My scheduled workout was cross training. But I got to the Y very late, and decided to run instead because or short on time & feeling good. Told myself I'd do 4 easy at 8:30 pace. I felt sluggish so the first 2 miles were 9 min & then 8:30 pace. Then I decided to do an 8 min 3rd mile to make the average come out. All of a sudden the sluggish feeling went away and I was feeling fine. Changing things on the fly I decided to speed up the 4th & then add a 5th mile which was to be a cool down. Forth = 7:30 pace, felt great. Decided to test if I might have any speed left after this prolonged period of no hard efforts. So did a half-mile at 6:30 pace and finally was feeling uncomfortable. Cool-down last half @ 9 min pace. So 5 total in a 'progression' type run.

It's now two days later and the PF is totally under control. Still there, but hardly notice it. I'm very encouraged by this but will still try to contain my efforts as much as possible!

1 comment:

  1. nice run! glad the pf didn't flare up, and hope it continues to fade away. it sure can be a beast!

    ReplyDelete