Friday, January 23, 2009

Weekend Plan

No workout today. Yesterday I did cross training at the Y as planned. 45 mins total. About 10 on elip before nice 35 minute ride on the 'new' bike. I think they're called Expresso and there's a screen with choices of computer rides. I picked the "costal run" which reminded me of California scenery. Burned some calories, but HR stay'd in the 100-120 range the whole time so I'm sure that it couldn't've added much to my fitness. Good stretching after...my legs did feel a lil bit pumped from the spin. Weight circuit: hit the legs a bit harder than usual this time.

I was planning an easy run Saturday morning, and then long (nine) on Sunday; however, I just saw the weekend weather and the bitter cold is to return for Sun a.m. Soooo. . . i will try to wake up early enuf tomorrow so that I can move up the long run. This is because I really want to do this one out on the Caesar Rodney course. Finishing up the final hill was much easier last year which I credit to running workouts on the course and each time charging up the big hill to finish off the urn. Then Sunday will be a str8 up rest day for me.

IT IS EXACTLY - 120 - Days until marathon Sunday!!!

I've still got enough time to do this provided that my injury doesn't flare up again. And of course I need to stay focused on the goal of 26.2. Distractions are many, including the upcoming spring race season. I can run CR 1/2 as workout, and Haddonfield 5k is not a problem. I like Tyler trail 10k also, racing it may depend on weather.
But prudent marathon traing will require me to skip these races:
  • Ugly Mudder - great fun, but last year hurt my knee on rough terrain.
  • JCC 5 miler - set PR last year, but don't need it this year.
  • Valley Forge 5m - too many hills/doesn't fit plan.
  • Trail Dawgs 10k - ditto.
The big question is whether to run the Shore Half marathon in Lewes (end of April) or the Broad Street 10 miler (beginning of May). I luv that BSR 10 - set my PR last year and I just love the crowd, the subway ride, the course, the finish line party, etc. I've never done the 1/2 in Lewes but have looked at it for several years now. It certainly is flat, so would be a chance at a new 13.1 PR. Racing both does not seem like a good marathon plan, so I'll have to decide.

I've got plenty of time to think about that. For now I've just got to keep stretching out those long runs. LSD baby, LSD.

1 comment:

  1. it's soo hard to skip races that aren't beneficial or 'workable' with a marathon training plan, and you're smart to talk yourself out of those and focus on the big kahuna race! these 120 days will fly by before you know it.

    ReplyDelete