Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fool in the Pool

I really wanted to make time for my workout today. So I did. If tomorrow's big exam is a flop then I'll know whether my hobby is healthy or if it has become an addiction.

I did yesterday's scheduled swim 'cross traing' at the Y. It's typical for me to do skipped workouts rather than passing over them. It's just what I do. And since I don't plan out a detailed schedule of workouts this has always been okay for m.e

This is the first time ever that I've done laps in the pool as a workout. I was pretty excited. I got there thinking that i would slowly swim for any amount of time as long as I finished a mile. But I didn't realize how much longer a mile in water is compared to a mile on dry land. I made it somewhere between 1/3 to a 1/2 mile. I have never been a good swimmer. I know the concept, but my form is just terrible. I usually seem to go too fast because I get tired very quickly. I wanted to go at a deliberate slow steady pace. I did wear a float belt for assistance...and I plan to get away from that over the next few weeks as my swim skills get stronger. Hey- I didn't want to sink to the bottom on the very first day, right?

No problem getting in the water, 2 swimmers per lane, not very crowded mid-morning. Tried to start as slow as I could. Made it up & back 2.5 times and had to flip over onto my back to rest (while still keeping some forward momentum). I was counting up & back as 1 lap. Later I asked the lifeguard and he said 72 single laps (one direction) is a mile because the pool is 25 yards. I did the math and yes, that's a little long . . . I would've counted 71 as my mile if I could've only gone that far! After 9 up & back I had to rest (1/4 mile). I stopped my watch to 'net' out the rest period. Then I did 3 more to make a 1/3 of a mile. I was exhausted, completely not used to this form of exercise. Time for .33 mile was 22:00 which I'm pretty sure is crappy but leaves me tons of room to improve. I did a few more laps just foolin around and called it quits.

During the final few laps I was getting cramps in both calves which concerns me because of the stress it might be making onto my plantar area. After shower I went into the gym & did a good thorough stretching before making a circuit around the weight machines. I ate too much for lunch, but now a few hours after the workout I'm feeling very good about making the time to do it. I feel a slight buzz - which is partly due to upper body completely tired out. I know the exam tomorrow is gonna suck, but I don't care much at all. That's the sign of a good vigorous workout!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the training and thanks for visiting my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel ya on how long a mile is in the pool! i haven't swam in forever but when i did a few years ago i could barely make it to the other end of the pool. it's just so hard, but definitely a great workout. i can't believe you did some weights afterwards - i'd be spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete