Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Margarita Monday

Simple workout today: 5 miles easy on treadmill. 8:30 pace. I felt sore & sluggish the first few miles, then had to remind myself not to go any faster the second half. Stretch, weight circuit. This was a pretty unremarkable day.

My calves & ankles are feeling Saturday's long run. I have to really work on doing those runs slower. a. so that I don't feel so sore afterward. This is a long race, and a long training time to ramp up to marathon mileage. If I burn out early I will never reach the goal. that's exactly what happened last time I tried to increase miles toward a marathon goal. Also, b. I need to increase my total time running so that I'm ready to go 3:30 or 3:45 on race day. The slower I do the training runs, the more minutes 'on my feet' I'll be getting. I have to plan for a peak at 3:30 so that race day won't put me too far into uncharted waters.

1 comment:

  1. it's definitely tough to remember day-in and day-out to not race the workouts. having a few solid speed days and long runs give you that extra mental boost, but don't do too many to ensure you aren't putting your race day performance into a training run. sounds like you have the right mindset, but i know it's hard to not get caught up in the mundanity of everyday runs.

    ReplyDelete