Sunday, January 11, 2009

Weekend Trail Run

I did a really great run yesterday, and haven't been able to blog on about it because I've just been busy with my weekend. But now everyone has gone to bed and I'm just watching the idiot tube so I can sign in.
As planned I went into BCSP. Since there was no snow I wasn't in any hurry to get out there...was actually hoping snow might arrive, but it didn't. Later we got the "wintery mix" of sleet, freezing rain, flurries, etc. Anyway it was cold and the woods were quiet and still. It's supposed to get colder this coming week with highs in the 20's for most of the week!

I hadn't been on these trails for like 2 months and there was tons of leaves covering the trail. I already know there's lots of rocks & roots so I took it easy, about a 10 minute mile pace. Somehow I missed the usual cut-off down to the river. I was almost to the south end where the trail meets the road at the old mill & damn when the trail suddenly became packed gravel. Yikes! When did this happen? I realized where I was, but they've ruined this stretch that used to be single track. WTF?!?! Then some bikers were coming up the trail as I was heading down toward the river. Now they're encouraging mtn bikes on this trail??
I took the river path down & back taking in the sights. I was running thru this area every week during the summer. Really can see so much more of the lay of the land with all the plants down & branches bare. I saw a few steep rock hills that were calling to me. I resisted, and usually don't like to blaze str8 into the woods. I stick to the paths. There is one very steep trail that goes up a 100 feet over boulders. I've taken that way once before and couldn't resist today.
This is the type of steep climb that you need to get your hands onto the rocks and lean into the hill. Grabbing roots and whatever hand holds you can get. I wish I had my camera - there were some icicles from a few rocks. And there were some ice crystals that had pushed up from the dirt and looked like stalks of ice arranged in patterns with small bits of dirt & pebbles on the top of each one. very cool. Anyway I made it to the top just in time to look back down and see another person going by on the path below - a long way down. I found the trail that leads thru the pine grove and then decided to alter my planned 5 mile route. I was getting into this run and didn't want it to end. I went uphill thru the 'rocky run' meadow. All the branches of the briars & berry thorns were shades of blue & purple which was really wild/trippy looking. I went by the big old beech that fell down in a storm last summer. My sons and I cut branches off of this mighty fallen giant. These are still drying in the garage and this spring we'll be making hiking staffs from these branches. My son's initials are carved into the fallen tree trunk. This tree was a great trail obstacle for about 2 weeks until the park cut a wide section of the trunk. bummer.
The biggest stream crossing here, stayed dry. Big uphill, then loop along mtn bike area. The final 1/4 mile back to my car is a constant incline which I couldn't help but to push the pace. I felt strong and I like to finish fast on most of my slow runs. I just can't resist the speed. Final time is exactly one hour. My estimate is 6 miles. Fully stretched immediately after. My calf muscles were really pumped from the final hill. They felt tired for the rest of the day and I anticipated PF pain today. Surprisingly I feel great, no pain! Maybe more running is better? Now I'm really guessing what the best course of action is for the situation. But for now I'm enjoying it. More runs like this one! A perfect blend of effortless while running and then happy exhaustion when done.

1 comment:

  1. Hi (:
    Thanks for passing and commenting on
    my blog. It is very good tool for this "next blog." The design of your blog is very good. (:

    ReplyDelete